The Craig Ferguson Show will headline Gilded Balloon at Rose Theatre, a major new festival hub for Fringe 2017
Karen and Katy Koren are thrilled to announce that Gilded Balloon will expand into the heart of Edinburgh’s New Town, as they embark upon an exciting new partnership with the Rose Theatre. This Fringe, Gilded Balloon at Rose Theatre will open its doors to present an eclectic programme of over 40 productions, from acclaimed musical theatre, through drama, comedy and cabaret, to Edinburgh’s very own panto kings and Scottish-American star of screen, stage, and radio – Craig Ferguson.
“Gilded Balloon is looking forward to working with Peter Schaufuss and the extraordinary Rose Theatre during the 70th year of the Edinburgh Festival Fringe. We are all incredibly excited to be bringing the Fringe to the West End, expanding into a brand-new home that’s a stone’s throw away from the Book Festival. I first worked with Craig Ferguson in 1985, and I am so pleased that he is headlining our programme at the Rose Theatre. We can’t wait to welcome him – and his American audience! – to the 70th year of the Fringe”
– Karen Koren, Artistic Director of Gilded Balloon
Returning to the Fringe for the first time in 24 years, cherished Scot Craig Ferguson will headline the inaugural Gilded Balloon at Rose Theatre programme with The Craig Ferguson Show. Boasting celebrity guests, discussions on (and dissections of) current events, and your favourite acts from across the full festival, each edition of The Craig Ferguson Show will also be broadcast LIVE to the US on Sirius XM Satellite Radio.
“I finally made enough money in America so I can afford to work for Karen again. As long it’s only two weeks and she lets me sell snacks at intermission”
– Craig Ferguson
The Rose Theatre was founded by esteemed ballet dancer and director Peter Schaufuss. The completed venue will bring four brand-new, mid-scale theatre spaces to Edinburgh’s city centre, with its Main Theatre space housing 300 seats. Of the partnership with Gilded Balloon, Peter said:
“I am delighted with this development at Rose Theatre Edinburgh and am looking forward to developing a successful partnership with Gilded Balloon”
– Peter Schaufuss, Director of Rose Theatre
To mark the 70th year of the Edinburgh Festival Fringe, Gilded Balloon will house more than 170 shows across three venues: Gilded Balloon Teviot, Gilded Balloon at the Museum, and Gilded Balloon at Rose Theatre.
The full programme, including The Craig Ferguson Show, will go on sale May 11th 2017.
For tickets on-sale today…
Tickets on-sale TODAY from the 2017 Gilded Balloon programme!
|LUISA OMIELAN: The Interlude – Politics for Bitches / What Would Mary Magdalene Do?!||SCOTT AGNEW: Spunk on Our Lady’s Face|
|MY DAD WROTE A PORNO||PUPPETRY OF THE PENIS|
|TOM STADE: I Swear||F***ING MEN|
|SHAZIA MIRZA: With Love from St. Tropez||MATT RICHARDSON: Slash|
|SCOTT GIBSON: Like Father, Like Son||AUNTY DONNA: BIG BOYS|
|ROBIN INCE’S Rorschach Test||GEORGE EGG: DIY Chef|
|MARK THOMPSON’s Spectacular Science Show||RAY BRADSHAW: Deaf Comedy Fan|
|MARK FORWARD Wins All the Awards||THE LULU SHOW|
|LAUREN BOK: Is That a Burrito in Your Pocket or Are You Just Happy You Have a Burrito?||WILL SEAWARD’s Spooky Midnight Ghost Stories III|
|BEN HART: Belief||SWEENEY TODD|
|LES MISÉRABLES||BRAVE MACBETH|
|MICHAEL REDMOND: I Wrote a Joke in 1987||STUART MACONIE: Jarrow Road to the Deep South|
Comedians debuting and on-sale TODAY include:
Dead Ringers’ JAN RAVENS: Difficult Woman, SYTYF 2013 Winner EDD HEDGES: Wonderland, Scottish Comedian of the Year finalist GARETH WAUGH: Honestly?, New Zealand comics DAVID CORREOS & MATT STELLINGWERF: Chaos & Order, and Piccadilly Comedian of the Year 2016 ESHAAN AKBAR: Not for Prophet.
For more Gilded Balloon events currently on sale, please head to gildedballoon.co.uk/tickets
For further press information, please contact David Dey at [email protected].
Notes to Editors
- The Rose Theatre is housed in the former site of the Charlotte Baptist Chapel and will open its doors to the public during the 2017 Edinburgh Festival Fringe, following a £1.8million conversion and refurbishment, presenting a programme in partnership with Gilded Balloon.
- Peter Schaufuss has been artistic director of English National Ballet, Deutsche Oper Ballet and the Royal Danish Ballet, as well as founding the Peter Schaufuss Ballet. He has been knighted in his native Denmark, and has won several awards for his work, including an Olivier Award and the Edinburgh Festival Critics Prize. Recently, he completed the purchase of Saint Stephen’s Church in Stockbridge, with similar plans to transform the space into a year-round dance and theatre venue.
- Alongside Gilded Balloon at Rose Street, Gilded Balloon will continue its successful partnership with National Museums Scotland, presenting the Gilded Balloon at the Museum programme for the second year running, as well as rolling out its bumper programme in its mainstay venue at Gilded Balloon Teviot.
- Craig Ferguson is renowned for his tenures on both The Drew Carey Show (1996-2004) and The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson (2005-2014). He is the host of both Celebrity Name Game, for which he has won two Daytime Emmy Awards, and Join or Die with Craig Ferguson, and has extensive credits across film, television, stage, and radio. He has written two books, a novel, Between the Bridge and the River (2006), and a memoir, American on Purpose (2009). As of February 2017, he hosts The Craig Ferguson Show on Sirius XM, which will headline the programme at Gilded Balloon at Rose Theatre.